Android and Linux

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Yet more Tasker

Gosh, I still haven't had time to devle deeply into it, but this app can apparently do anything.

Using this guide, I set up Tasker to locate my phone. When it gets an SMS with a certain codeword, it turns on GPS, waits for a good fix, then sends a reply with the coordinates and a link to a google map. This is good for traveling, in case you lose your phone, or for people to locate you in an emergency.

With this guide, I set up two widgets for marking a point and locating it. It creats two icons, the first marks your location and stores it in a variable and the second maps that variable. It's great for temporarily marking a spot and finding your way back to it.

I'm also using it to sync the photos from my phone to my computer when the phone connects to my home wifi using my earlier rsync command. This is easily set up in Tasker by selecting New > State > Wifi Connected and typing in my wifi SSID, then using the Locale Execute plugin to run the script.

That's all for now, but I'm sure I'll find a lot more uses for this app.

Followers